Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Heart of the Matter - By Emily Giffin

*** SPOILER ALERT!!!!! ***

And just in case my spoiler alert wasn't enough, I am about to tell you events that you don't find out until half way through the book.

This story is told through 2 perspectives. Tessa, a happily married woman with 2 kids, and Valerie who is a single mother of a 6 year old boy.

Tessa's love story with her husband, Nick, is heart warming and relatable. They are truly in love and it is easy to form a bond with them, especially if you are also in love. Tessa's husband is an adored children's plastic surgeon. As a plastic surgeon, he could make a lot of money working on women, but he devotes his life to these young children who are subject to accidents and abuse. While he could make much more, he does make enough for a good living so his wife does not need to work and can stay home with the kids. Nick's love for Tessa is unconditional and mutual.

Valerie is a single mother who is attracted to the wrong types of guys. Her 6 year old little boy, Charlie, has never met his daddy. Valerie meets Nick, Tessa's husband, when Charlie is burned in a camp fire and Nick is assigned to be his doctor. Charlie loves Nick!

I wish I knew more about the book before I began reading and especially before I formed such an attachment to Tess and Nick's marriage, finding it so relatable. Nick cheats on Tessa. It was hard for me to go through this struggle with Tessa, and I wish I hadn't likened their marriage so close to mine. I never expected Nick to cheat on Tessa.

With this betrayal in mind, I would of better enjoyed the book. If you are okay with reading about a cheating husband, then I think you'll enjoy this book. I really like Emily Giffin and loved her book "Something Borrowed" that was recently made into a movie. This book ended as well as it could have for me. I recommend this book, but I don't recommend becoming too attached to Tessa.

No comments:

Post a Comment